Friday, November 23, 2012

With Liberty and Justice

“A nation of underachievers is easier to control 
than a society that excels.”
--Ryan Hunter, inDIVISIBLE




Genre: YA Dystopia
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: September 1st, 2012
Source: *eBook provided courtesy of the author for an honest review*

inDIVISIBLE is a young adult dystopian novel that centers on Brynn right after her father is murdered by terrorists. She lives in One United where the government controls everything. What you wear, where you live, where you work. They even go so far as to implant a sensor in your hand in order to keep track of you wherever you are at all times. After her father's murder Brynn starts to see some cracks in the facade of One United and with the help of her friend T they try to escape...what happens after that? Well, you'll have to get the book to find out! :)

I love dystopia. With that said because I read so many of them I have become a dystopia snob but this book was so good! It reminded me very much of The Maze Runner because it catches your attention right away with the opening scene, hits the ground running and never really stops. The pacing is fast and exciting and the storyline never drags for too long in one location or situation. I LOVE this. For all you voracious readers out there who have family and friends who don't like to read because it is "boring", give them this book. It never slows down. The plot continues to twist and turn and I never really knew where the story was going to go next which kept me wanting more. I really felt like I was transported right to Brynn side and I was running alongside her the entire time! 

The realistic development and actions of the characters is also something I found completely unique and refreshing. A lot of times in YA dystopia the characters become super spies and experts in combat out of nowhere and you shake your head and go, uh...where did that come from? The characterizations here are honest. These are normal teenagers just trying to fight their way out and do the right thing. The things they do in order to get information are completely realistic and believable and consistent with their respective upbringings. And the relationship between Brynn and T is absolutely adorable and completely endearing. It is so easy between them. This was another part of the book I found completely honest. They were affectionate and caring towards one another but still had those awkward inner thoughts of, does he like me? Wait, we're just friends...right? It was perfect! The entire emotional arc of this book was so relatable. Like I said before, Brynn is a normal teenager and her feelings of loneliness, sadness and anger at the entire situation she has been put in is incredibly honest and heartfelt. I could see myself feeling the exact same things if I were put in the same situation. (And yes, I may have shed a few tears at points...don't judge...)

And man do I love a female protagonist who is a fighter. Not in the kung fu sense but in the fight for what is right and stand up for what you believe in. I felt myself so drawn in by her need to get away and find her own freedom. I was becoming so angry at the government in this book because its like why can't you just let people make their own choices?! So oppressing and controlling I wanted to scream...but I didn't because if it were all rainbows and sunshine we would never have this book :) Brynn's fight is truly a fight for a revolution in the simplest sense, freedom, choice and a need to live her life how she wants to live it. Amazing.

Another component of this novel that I LOVED is also something I notice lacking in many young adult novels today...spirituality. I'm not pushing religion, I'm not trying to cram my beliefs down anyone's throats and neither is this author. What I admire is that it is a discussion. Most novels today just leave it out completely. People are living in a savage and broken down dystopian world and there are never any hints or thoughts to a higher power or being to have faith in?  I really enjoyed Hunter's honest approach to two teenagers discussing an intelligent topic in an open way. Love love love! 

The plot continued to twist and turn until the VERY. END. And I had NO idea how the end of the book would be and I still am in disbelief...seriously. I feel this novel takes an honest and believable approach to a dystopian world with two teenagers just trying to do better. I cannot WAIT to see what is next in the world of One United! I need more now! 

4/5 Stars

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! Ryan Hunter herself stopped by to answer a few questions for us! Yay! Welcome to Belle of the Literati! 



Interview with the Author


1. Where did you get your idea or inspiration for inDIVISIBLE?

I get most of my ideas through dreams, and that's how I came up with inDIVISIBLE. I dreamt most of the novel and the rest just came to me as I wrote it. A lot of people are calling it political, and I agree that it became a book about freedom, but I started writing it just because it was in my soul and I had to put it into print.

2. What is the significance to you about the unique capitalization of the title?

The word indivisible means something that cannot be divided, but if we don't stand up for ourselves, we give up the right of unity and freedom and thus we can be divided. The first two letters are smaller to imply that indivisible can become divisible under the right circumstances.

3. Without giving too much away, if you lived in this world where would your destination be? North or south?

I've always been a bit of a rebel. I like my freedoms and I demand my individuality, so I wouldn't do well under complete control. I would do whatever it took to maintain my personal expression and the freedoms of my family.

4. Do you think you would have made the same choices Brynn did in her journey? Or would you personally have taken a different path?

I think I've put a lot of myself into Brynn, so I think I'd do things much the same way.

5.. Fangirl question...WHAT  is T's real name, it cannot just be an initialization...can it?

His real name is T. I used to substitute teach and when I came to this name on the roll one time, I asked the student if there was more. He said that was it, the letter T. He was a really nice kid and all the others in the classroom really liked him (and his name). Since that moment I've wanted to name a character T.

6.  Are you writing more to Brynn's story? Can you give us any details?

inDIVISIBLE will become a trilogy in the One United series. I'm excited for book two because there are some interesting developments and new characters I can't wait to introduce. I'm working on book two now and hope to have it out soon after the first of the year.

Yay!!!!!!

7. What are you reading right now or have you read recently that you've loved?

I'm a big fan of YA, specifically YA that makes you think. If there's humor in it, I'm even more intrigued. One series that comes to mind is I am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells. It's told from the point of view of a young sociopath who wants to live a normal life. It's humorous and makes you think and feel. I also enjoyed Nightingale by David Farland. It's a YA about a species who live among humans, who can share, take or give memories. 

8. What are some books from your childhood or teenage years that inspired you to be a writer?

I can't think of any books specifically, but I think it was the love of reading that spurred my interest in writing. I read everything I could get my hands on, and well-written stories were very real to me.

Thank you for interviewing me on your blog! 


You can purchase inDIVISBLE at Amazon HERE!! 
Tweet Her @RyanHunter45
Check Out Her Blog
Become a fan on Goodreads


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...