Thursday, November 29, 2012

Escaping Yourself

"There were moments, Laurel solemnly believed,
in which a person reached a crossroads, 
when something happened,
out of the blue,
to change the course of life's events."
--Kate Morton, The Secret Keeper


Genre: Adult Historical Fiction and Mystery
Publisher: Atria Books, 481 pages
Release Date: October 9th, 2012
Find on Goodreads--The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton


I have been a Kate Morton fan for years. She has written 4 published novels in total and each one is just as spectacular, if not more so, than the last. The Secret Keeper is no exception. I had the honor of meeting Ms. Morton a few weeks ago and she is absolutely lovely! So kind, her accent is divine and I heard her voice in my head the entire time I was reading. Each and every one of her books is a stand alone novel and absolutely brilliant storytelling. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

The Secret Keeper begins in the 1960, spends most of its time between 2011 and 1941, with a few pit stops in 1958 and other various years. It. Is. Wonderful. The back drop of the beginning is Laurel, one of our main characters, witnessing a crime involving her mother, something she never really understood or got over. Now, in 2011 her mother is near the end of her days and Laurel begins to reminisce about the events of her youth. Morton then back flashes to London during The Blitz in the midst of World War II. The story revolves around Dolly (Laurel's mother), her boyfriend Jimmy, and friend Vivien. Honestly, I really cannot say more than that because it will give away the plot. Just go read it. Wait, no, before you read this one, go read her other books first. K, thanks.

Kate Morton is a storyteller. She is brilliant. She weaves a tale that keeps you guessing and scratching your head and putting your forehead in your hand because juuuust when you think you've figured something out she throws you for another loop. You honestly never get the whole story until the absolute end. It is brilliant. I'll say it again. I have to. Absolute genius. I have no idea how she begins to ravel this story up. It is so intricate and detailed that is really is nothing short of spectacular.

The characters in this book are wonderful. Their voices are so clear and unique that I felt like I was living inside this book and seeing 1941 London right before my eyes. Not to sound cliche but the characters make you laugh, cry, ache and yearn for something more for them. I loved all of them. And Jimmy? Oh, Jimmy. What an amazing character. He is honest and loyal and just good. He is a good person and beautiful inside and out. He was by and far my absolute favorite. Gerry is a close second :)

There is just something so raw about a story taking place in wartime. It is a juxtaposition of adjectives. It is raw and honest yet secretive and mysterious. Harsh but, to me, there is a sense of innocence that goes along with it as well. Nobody knew what the next day would hold or if there even would be a next day. In a time where chastity and virtue where cherished, women were having secret affairs with their lovers going off to war because it might be the only time they ever have together. The pure emotion of love for loved ones in this time against a backdrop of such hate is beautiful in an odd way. 

The writing is perfection. It is so poignant and heartfelt and my heart was just aching during some parts. I could not flip the pages fast enough in order to unravel this mystery. Morton herself talked about loving stories that make her fall down the rabbit hole and this is one of those stories. I just felt to blissfully lost in this world the whole time I was reading it. I love this author, I love her stories and I cannot wait for her next rabbit hole to appear in the land of literary. 

4.5/5 Stars

3 comments:

  1. This definitely made the list of my favorites for 2012... amazing book! Great review too. :) (New follower!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great?! I love all her books! Thanks so much for following! I'm going to check out your blog now :)

      Delete
  2. Took some time to get into it, but once I did the story line became very interesting. Ending was truly unexpected and I was not even close to guessing outcome.

    Micky Johnson (SEO Dallas)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...