Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday Freebie!

“There is something about words. 
In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner. 
Wind themselves around your limbs like spider silk, 
and when you are so enthralled you cannot move, 
they pierce your skin, 
enter your blood, 
numb your thoughts.
Inside you they work their magic.” 

--Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale 


Yay! My second Top Ten Tuesday! I can't get enough of these topics because it reminds me of all the fabulous books I love and have to really think about my favorite literary moments. So big thanks to the fabulous ladies at The Broke and The Bookish for thinking of this :)

This week is a freebie so with much thought and deliberation (really not that much thought at all) I have decided to do my *drumroll please* Top Ten Favorite Book Quotes!! I cheated again and because I love to open every blog entry with a quote I got an extra one in there ;) But really, the above quote is so true which is why I had to pick this topic. Just like probably 99% of you out there I LOVE words. Words comfort me, they inspire me, they make me feel better, they make sense at times when everything else doesn't. I am actually thinking about getting a tattoo on my ribs that says 'These words are mine.' That fantastic idea came from my best friend Lindsay...but we'll see if that ever happens.  ANYWAYS, on to my quotes. If I'm being perfectly honest I'm a little nervous to put all these out there. Not that many of you haven't already read them and the books that contain them; its just that it feels like I'm baring my soul a little bit. I even got a little emotional reading some of them and remembering when I read them for the first time...that's kinda pathetic, eh? But seriously, I am enamored and enchanted by words. So without much further ado (in no particular order) here they are...


1. “Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.” 
--J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Obvi. Had to start with Harry Potter. I just love how this rings so true on so many levels. Dumbledore says in a different book that death is just the next great adventure so we really should not fear it...but while we do live here and now the greatest thing we can do is love. Love is the greatest power and strength that any of us can find. Magical really...just magical. 






2. “May and I are sisters. We'll always fight, but we'll always make up as well. That's what sisters do: we argue, we point out each other's frailties, mistakes, and bad judgment, we flash the insecurities we've had since childhood, and then we come back together. Until the next time. ” 
--Lisa See, Shanghai Girls

I have two beautiful and intelligent sisters whom I love, honestly, more than life itself. I would Hunger Games style volunteer myself in a nanosecond for either of my sisters but any of you out there who have sisters knows this quote is so true. While my sisters and I live and die for each other we fight like Armageddon too, don't get me wrong, none of us are anywhere near perfect. And sisters totally do this. When they fight it is scary. You throw down the lowest blow, you hit them where you know it will hurt and 10 minutes later everything is fine. Thus is the way of sisters and it's beautiful all the same. 


3. “Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like betrayal” 
--John Green, The Fault in Our Star

I cannot lie. I have thought these thoughts and said what the above quote describes several times and people have looked at me like I'm nuts. "What do you mean you don't tell people about certain books?" Uh, cuz I just don't! I don't trust you to love them and care for them the way I do and understand them the way I understand them. When I read this line for the first time my jaw literally dropped...oh.my.gosh.somebody else gets it. They understand me. Revelation never occurred to me more than in the moments reading those sentences. I have just a few books I feel this way about and sadly this is one of them...oh well, guess the cat's out of the bag about this one. But you lovely readers I trust because let's face it, you're just as obsessed with books as I am and like you haven't already read everything John Green has written :)


4. “Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.” 
--Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke and Bone

I love this. Mind over matter. Make your own magic. I truly believe that if you put positive energy into the world and put mental thoughts out there of what you want out of life it will come to you. I am currently trying out this strategy with hopes of not dying alone so right now for me, hope is a very powerful force I would love to harness and work with right now. It just gives such inspiration on positive thinking and never giving up hope for what you want or what you believe in. Hope really is a powerful force, one definitely not to mess with. 


5. “But I believe in true love, you know? I don't believe that everybody gets to keep their eyes or not get sick or whatever, but everybody should have true love, and it should last at least as long as your life does.” 
--John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Alright, I couldn't only include one quote from TFiOS. This book is just too epic. And this quote is one that brought tears to my eyes when I was searching for my favorites. Its just...its so true. There is ugliness everywhere in the world and no matter if you are the wealthiest person in the world or the poorest, we all deserve to know what true love feels like. I have an extremely blessed life in more ways than one but I can't help but feel shorted and empty that I have no idea was true love feels like. I read about it constantly and I have such an ache in my whole being that yearns for what I read about in books...that part about baring my soul...yeah here it is, sorry for all the emo.



6. “If love be rough with you, be rough with love. Prick love for pricking and you beat love down.” 
--William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

OK, to change the mood from the last quote and buzzkill I love this quote because it tells you to always fight. Don't take any crap from love, don't let it push you around. Push back. Fight back. If love beats you down, get back up and fight back. I just honestly love anything that tells you not to take any crap from people. It's the anti-bully in me for sure :) And I have a fascination with Shakespeare in general. I had to cut my favorite Julius Caesar quote but because that quote inspired a book I quoted twice I think you can imagine what it is...see I'm sneaky, cheated again :)



7. “We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.” 
--Veronica Roth, Divergent

SPEAKING of anti-bullying when I found this quote in Divergent I fell in love immediately. I have a way of sticking my nose in places it doesn't belong...most especially when it involves sticking up for someone. I just, I don't know, it doesn't matter who is being the bully or who the victim is I will ALWAYS say something to help defend that person. Picking on weak people doesn't prove you are strong, it proves your own weaknesses. My mother used to ask me why I'm always getting in fights (verbal not physical) with people, like why is it always me? And I have to always tell her because I can't stand by and say nothing. It's a problem, really, but I like to think of it as a good one to have :) 



8. “Reminds us that greatness lies even in the smallest of moments, in the humblest of hearts, and we shall, each of us, be called to greatness. Whether we shall rise to meet it or let it slip away is the challenge put before us all.” 
--Libba Bray, The Sweet Far Thing

Wow, I am impressing myself with how these last few have flowed into each other. Go me! Anyways, so it doesn't just have to be my problem. We all have within us the power to be great and to make a difference and take charge of ourselves and our lives. Not everybody does but I love how this quote identifies that power each and every one of us has and how it is up to us to make a change and a difference. 




9. “I think the act of reading imbues the reader with a sensitivity toward the outside world that people who don't read can sometimes lack. I know it seems like a contradiction in terms; after all reading is such a solitary, internalizing act that it appears to represent a disengagement from day-to-day life. But reading, and particularly the reading of fiction, encourages us to view the world in new and challenging ways...It allows us to inhabit the consciousness of another which is a precursor to empathy, and empathy is, for me, one of the marks of a decent human being.” 
--John Connoly, The Book of Lost Things

All you amazing readers out there totally understand this and get this. I wholeheartedly believe this. I feel more aware when I'm reading. I feel more alive. Not that I'm disconnecting from the real people around me but I feel inspired and light and more in tune when I'm reading something great. Like the world looks different and it's better and clearer.




10. I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race—that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.

None of those things, however, came out of my mouth.

All I was able to do was turn to Liesel Meminger and tell her the only truth I truly know. I said it to the book thief and I say it now to you.

I am haunted by humans.” 

--Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

I'm not sure there is much more I can say about this except I love this book. Every single quote and passage is brilliant to me. Beautiful. Passionate. Honest. Haunting. Real. This book is a life-changer and I cannot get enough of it. This is my favorite one of many and it was hard to narrow down but I felt like it most encompassed the book itself and the feeling of it. *sigh* 

Whoo! I hope you liked my quotes! I had a fabulous time doing them and I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!! :)

'Til next time! TTFN :)

14 comments:

  1. Those are great quotes! Thanks for sharing.

    Carol's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry Potter & The book thief <3 I could quote SO many things from these two.

    TTT@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I really had a hard time narrowing it down, I could probably do a Top Ten quotes from each book! And I LOVE your handle name of the Daily Prophet <3

      Delete
  3. I haven't read The Book Thief because I know I will likely cry. I was a sobbing mess with The Fault in Our Stars. I chose quotes this week too! My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you will but if you can handle TFiOS you can handle The Book Thief. Those are 2 of my books I don't tell my non-book friends about. It's a betrayal :)

      Delete
  4. Yey, I'm reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone right now :D Oh hope... Welcome to TTT!

    I chose Top Ten books from NPR's Sci-fi and Fantasy list and I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I LOOOOOVE Daughter of Smoke and Bone and the next book just came out today! You'll have to let me know what you think!! :)

      And I just checked out your list it's awesome! I've only read a few so I'm gonna have to up my anty of Sci-Fi books too!

      Delete
  5. Hi,

    Great blog, I've just followed you! :)

    All the best,
    J.H. Myn
    http://jhmyn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh thank you so much! I'm pretty new to this so I just get overly excited when people like my spastic ramblings! :)

      Is that your only blog? I don't have google+ so I don't know how to follow yours without it. Help? lol

      Delete
  6. I love your quotes and totally agree that The Fault in Our Stars deserves at least two spots on your list! Fabulous book! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I will have to find your review of Son and take a peek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! If I could have included the whole book I probably would have!

      And you are so welcome! I absolutely adore The Giver so to find somebody with a similar passion and understanding of the book was so exciting!

      Delete
  7. Awesome quotes.

    I identified with a lot of them. I especially hear you on standing up for those who can't defend themselves and in mind over matter. Its not easy, but very important to do. Thanks for sharing.

    Loving the blog and a new follower. I think the name of it is awesome (Belle is one of my fave Disney princesses for being so bookish).

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I'm glad I'm not alone!

      Thank you so much for following and I too have always loved Belle and identified with her so I just HAD to have some reference to her for my blog name :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...