Thursday, April 16, 2015

The Mathematical Probability of Finding Infinity

"Maybe I'll stop looking for real, now that I've found Infinity."
--Amy Harmon, Infinity + One


Genre: New Adult Contemporary
Publisher: Self-Published
Pages: 327
Publication Date: June 8th, 2014
Source: Bought
Previous Books in Series: Standalone
Previous Books by this Author: Making FacesThe Law of Moses
Goodreads Description

When two unlikely allies become two unwitting outlaws, will two unforgettable lovers defy unbeatable odds?

Bonnie Rae Shelby is a superstar. She’s rich. She’s beautiful. She’s impossibly famous. And Bonnie Rae Shelby wants to die.

Finn Clyde is a nobody. He’s broken. He’s brilliant. He’s impossibly cynical. And all he wants is a chance at life.

One girl. One boy. An act of compassion. A bizarre set of circumstances. And a choice – turn your head and walk away, or reach out your hand and risk it all?

With that choice, the clock starts ticking on a man with a past and a girl who can’t face the future, counting down the seconds in an adventure riddled with heartbreak and humor, misunderstanding and revelation. With the world against them, two very different people take a journey that will not only change their lives, but may cost them their lives as well.

Infinity + One is a tale of shooting stars and fame and fortune, of gilded cages and iron bars, of finding a friend behind a stranger’s face, and discovering love in the oddest of places.

I am having a love affair and it is with Amy Harmon. I have read three of her books now and all of them make me feel. SO many feels! I had the opportunity to make the horrible mistake of reading not one but TWO of her books while traveling and while on airplanes. My seatmates looked quite concerned by the crazy American crying in her seat. Le sigh.

Infinity + One is one of those books that has a little bit of everything. It has humor—This is probably it’s biggest component, I was laughing at the banter SO MUCH. So picture that. Laughing out loud to myself followed by crying. I bet I looked so totally emotionally stable to the strangers around me. It has sorrow—the book opens with a young woman contemplating suicide only to be saved by a strange young man. It has complexity—the way the plot plays out is fantastic and fits a puzzle at the end that you didn’t even know you were working on. It has faith—Amy Harmon’s ability to weave God and faith and strength into her novels is my favorite aspect of her writing. It’s eloquence is subtle but consistent and it just makes you feel comforted that a higher power does exist. It has romance—Witty banter, unlikely couple, complex issues to work through.

Bonnie Rae Shelby lost her sister not too long ago and has been lost every since. Finn Clyde got dealt a bad hand in life and has been paying for it and trying to make it better ever since. When this unlikely duo meet, it’s Clyde saving Bonnie and inadvertently enter a road trip together…yes, people. We have a Bonnie and Clyde revival and it is just amazing. Clyde is grumpy and wants nothing to do with this crazy runaway girl that looks like more trouble than she’s worth and Bonnie wants nothing more than to get away. Their banter with one another is of hilarious and adorable proportions. There is a lot of crazy drama that takes place during this road trip but the humor is what I take away the most. I loved the dynamic these two had together. Their romance is unconventional and just beautiful! I don’t want to say too much to ruin anything because you JUST have to read it!

More than that, a series of unfortunate events is where our plot takes us. I don’t want to give too much away but I loved how each road block along the way played a bigger part in the overall plot later on. Like I said before, it’s one of those moments at the end of the book where you just grin and sigh and realize you were getting pieces to a puzzle you didn’t even know you were trying to solve. I LOVE this. I love when everything happens for a reason and it all clicks together at the end. Clyde is a math genius so a lot of math is discussed and no, it’s not boring! It’s amazing! The topics and ideas they discuss play such a prominent role in the plot that it was a puzzle piece I was dying to have! Love love love. The idea of faith and trust is consistent throughout the novel and we see Clyde and Bonnie each take steps toward healing. Their paths couldn’t have been more different but where they end up is essentially the same place of hurt and loss. The road to recovery for these two is not easy but oh so worth it.

I absolutely LOVE the writing of Amy Harmon and her books speak to me on an emotional and spiritual level. I love how she ties everything together and I cannot wait to read the remaining two books of hers I have not read yet.

Backstage Pass
If you love hilarious banter, everything happening for a reason, and faith…this book is for you.

Oh, and one more note. I read this book on my flight from Peru to Argentina. The next day I was in an Buenos Aires art museum and found this...If you've read this book, you'll understand this picture below.


2 comments:

  1. This book sounds so good! I am all about banter and road trips, so this is definitely being added to my tbr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to check this one out! I know you already recommended it for my secret project, but after reading your review, I just want to read it even MORE. Love that it has a fun, humorous side to it - I always like that in my reads :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...