Monday, May 4, 2015

Be Strong and of Good Courage

"Sometimes it's harder to be bright when you feel the darkness inside you.
Sometimes the very hardest thing is to let the pain go."
--AC Gaughen, Lion Heart
   
Genre: YA Historical Fiction, Re-Telling
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 348
Publication Date: May 19th, 2015
Source: ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review
Previous Books in Series: Scarlet & Lady Thief
Goodreads Description

The eagerly-awaited conclusion to the Scarlet trilogy delivers another action-packed and romance-filled adventure.

Scarlet has captured the hearts of readers as well as the heart of Robin Hood, and after ceaseless obstacles and countless threats, readers will finally find out the fate of the Lady Thief.

Imprisoned by Prince John for months, Scarlet finds herself a long way from Nottinghamshire. After a daring escape from the Prince's clutches, she learns that King Richard’s life is in jeopardy, and Eleanor of Aquitaine demands a service Scarlet can’t refuse: spy for her and help bring Richard home safe. But fate—and her heart—won’t allow her to stay away from Nottinghamshire for long, and together, Scarlet and Rob must stop Prince John from going through with his dark plans for England. They can not rest until he’s stopped, but will their love be enough to save them once and for all?



I have been eagerly anticipating the release of the final book of Scarlet’s tale since I binge read Scarlet and Lady Thief last year. Feisty heroine, swoony and honorable hero, loyal sidekicks, and a fast-paced storyline. I re-read Lady Thief to catch myself up with the story prior to reading Lion Heart and I fell in love all over again. The writing, the plot twists, the swoon, Lady Thief has it all…and I feel like re-reading it led to my disappointment with Lion Heart. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the book overall but it really does not hold a candle to its predecessors and here’s why…




The Plot


Um, well…nothing happens. There are small moments and pockets of Scarlet making her way in the world of nobles but overall the plot is scarce. The romance factor is on level 10 which makes up for the fact that nothing else happens so I’m basically okay with it. However, I found myself falling out of the story and not really knowing what was going on. Eleanor continues to be a fantastic character but I found even she was questionable at times. Refusing to see John for what he was doing and making excuses for him grated my nerves. I get that he is her son, but the Eleanor books I’ve read have her opposing him more so that was frustrating. Not to mention, John himself is terror incarnate. I was confused that in some scenes they talk about how he is barely an important land holder and other people have more land and more say and then in the next nobody has the balls to stand up to him. He wasn’t acting King while Richard was gone and if he holds less land than most, why is he such a BFD? And even when Scarlet is able to gain some support that was supposed to "mean" something, he still does what he wants. I don’t mean to make this sound like a bad novel, it’s not, it’s jus that I was coming off SUCH a fantastic high reading Lady Thief and this book has none of the elements I loved in Lady Thief.



The End


MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD: YOU’VE BEEN WARNED



The end is a satisfying conclusion, no big spoilers though. But it ended…abruptly. We were in the middle of a scene and then it’s a small reflection and it’s over. I was looking around like, what just happened? That’s it? It’s over? Where’s the rest of the book? It just…didn’t make sense to me. Maybe the final copy will have more detail or maybe a hint to what our characters got up to afterwards but if this is it…it’s very lacking. I understand history itself is a constraint on the writing and the author cannot make things happen that didn’t but damn, give me something to go on because I know the history of Eleanor and John and Richard so I need a little reassurance for the characters I’ve come to love for the last 3 books.




The Romance

This…this is what made the book. The romance, the swoon, the tender moments, the kissing, it’s all led up to this and it is so worth the wait. Rob is so freaking adorable and swoon-worthy that it is so very hand to chest, give me a fainting couch. The moments he and Scarlet share are what make this book great. I forget about the lack of plot and fragmented writing because in all honesty, this is what I want. I want a happily ever after for these people and reading about their love was worth the wait.




Standing in Line Outside
While the romance really does make up tenfold for the rest of the book, this final installment doesn’t mesh and do justice to the first two books. If you’ve read the series, love Scarlet and Rob, and want to see their ending…this book’s for you.




1 comment:

  1. I didn't read the spoilers but I will be reading this soon so I'll read what you said after. :) Random question: what is BFD? (...big...fucking douche?) Glad to hear the romance is a 10 though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...