Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Confession: I Believe in Fate

"That could be fate, you know"
--Colleen Hoover, Confess


Genre: NA Contemporary
Publisher: Atria Books
Pages: 320
Publication Date: March 10th, 2015
Source: Bought
Previous Books by This Author: Hopeless & Losing Hope, Maybe Someday, Slammed & Point of Retreat & This Girl, Ugly Love
Goodreads Description

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Colleen Hoover, a new novel about risking everything for love—and finding your heart somewhere between the truth and lies.

Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there’s no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover Owen is keeping major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can’t seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin…
After my experience with Ugly Love, I won't lie to you, I was hesitant to pick up the newest book by one of my favoite authors. I was terrrifed I wouldn't connect with this book...but in the end, emotions prevailed and I still ended up pre-ordering it and reading it almost immediately....thank the book gods I did.

Confess is everything I love and expect from Colleen Hoover and more. It is emotional and difficult to read times because of the impossible situations the characters are in. It is steeped in witty banter and adorable situations. It gives you that feeling of butterflies and falling in love along with the reality that life doens't always allow you to have what you deserve. It is about impossible choices and no-win situations. It's about fate. And love. And sacrifice...*sigh*

Conrfess is about Aubrey, a newbie in Dallas who works at a hair salon, and Owen, an artist. SHe stumbles upon his art studio and is entranced by all the confessions people have written that are posted outside his studio. That's Owen's art, confessions. From there we see they have a connection, especially from Owen's POV (dual POV by the way, love this). Aubrey is holding back her reasons for moving to Dallas, Owen is holding back a secret of his own. What are they? I'll never tell...

Without giving the plot away, I will tell you that this book felt like coming home (to Colleen Hoover) after a long time away. She gives us conflict and situations that have no positive resolutions and seem, dare I say it?, hopeless. (See what I did there?) And this is the type of plot line Hoover does so well. The seemingly impossible situation, a connection of destiny proportions, and real life circumstances that cannot be ignored. My heart ached with the unfairness of it all but it all made sense. The choices, the sacrifices, the decisions SUCKED but were so necessary in the characters' motivation and love for one another.

Ok, I can't talk about the plot but I will talk about THE FEELS. You guys...YOU GUYS! I started this book at 9 pm thinking, 'I'll just start it, maybe get to 50 pages, then I'll go to bed.' Yeah, good fucking joke. I stayed up until 2 am to finish it becasue I HAD to know what happens. I WOULD NOT be able to sleep if I didn't finish. The emotions are so intense and Owen is just...OMG. Owen is OMG. Thoughtful, kind, swoony to the max. I can't even eloquently describe it but there is one line...one moment...on sentence he says that makes me MELT into a puddle of emotinal mush. I was crying with how emotional and intense it was. It was perfection. Absolute perfection.

Another thing I loved about this book that I find prevalent in other books by Hoover is the element of fate and destiny. These two characters were meant to find one another. I won't tell you why but how it comes together is just beautiful. I love stories about fate and destiny and how we're all meant for somebody. It gives me the chills something fierce.

And I have to mention the artwork in the book. It is beautiful. I may actually order one of the prints off her website. Theyr'e that good and they evoke that much emotion from me.



The Length

The only 'Beast' I have is that it felt short. I didn't want or need the conflict drawn out any longer but I felt like I could have had a little more content to the story. That being said, it didnt' make me feel any less. I'm actually shocked I felt so much with what felt like a quick read. I just wanted a little more time with the characters. I don't really see this is as a negative and it could be because I read it in, legit, one sitting but it seemed short. I think I would have liked to bask in the glory of their relationship a little bit more. I'm DEF not asking for more conflict but maybe more of the happy times? Please?


VIP
This book is everything I was looking for in the latest Colleen Hoover book.
If you love intense emotinal connections, heart-breaking stories, and believe in destiny...this book's for you.


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this, though I have to say it is not my favorite CoHo book. I had some issues with it and figured out the plot twist in the first chapter. But overall it was a fast read that kept my interest. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read one Hoover book so far (Hopeless, yay!), but Confess intrigues me. It's not just because I think the cover is striking, but it's also because it sounds like such a compelling story. I want to know all the seeeeeecrets!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...