Thursday, May 7, 2015

Ice, Ice, Baby

"One day, kid, you'll be willing to mortage your fucking soul for somebody."
--Karen Marie Moning, Iced


Genre: Adult Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Delacourte Press
Pages: 495
Publication Date: October 20th, 2012
Source: Borrowed from library
Previous Books in SeriesDarkfever & Bloodfever & Faefever & Dreamfever & Shadowfever
Goodreads Description

The year is 1 AWC—After the Wall Crash. The Fae are free and hunting us. It’s a war zone out there, and no two days are alike. I’m Dani O’Malley, the chaos-filled streets of Dublin are my home, and there’s no place I’d rather be.

Dani “Mega” O’Malley plays by her own set of rules—and in a world overrun by Dark Fae, her biggest rule is: Do what it takes to survive. Possessing rare talents and the all-powerful Sword of Light, Dani is more than equipped for the task. In fact, she’s one of the rare humans who can defend themselves against the Unseelie. But now, amid the pandemonium, her greatest gifts have turned into serious liabilities.

Dani’s ex–best friend, MacKayla Lane, wants her dead, the terrifying Unseelie princes have put a price on her head, and Inspector Jayne, the head of the police force, is after her sword and will stop at nothing to get it. What’s more, people are being mysteriously frozen to death all over the city, encased on the spot in sub-zero, icy tableaux.

When Dublin’s most seductive nightclub gets blanketed in hoarfrost, Dani finds herself at the mercy of Ryodan, the club’s ruthless, immortal owner. He needs her quick wit and exceptional skill to figure out what’s freezing Fae and humans dead in their tracks—and Ryodan will do anything to ensure her compliance.

Dodging bullets, fangs, and fists, Dani must strike treacherous bargains and make desperate alliances to save her beloved Dublin—before everything and everyone in it gets iced.
The Characters
While I was more than apprehensive to start a whole book stuck in Dani's head, it wasn't as bad as I thought. She's annoying with her ego at times and ridiculous speech at times, but yeah, she's 14 so I let most of it slide. I know she has 'superpowers' and I loved this aspect and could definitely feel her frustration with people looking at her like she's a naive and clueless child. She could more than handle her own and she needed to be given more credit. I can't even talk about Ryodan because the sexual tension he was throwing off was making me think he incarnated and was throwing of death-by-sex Fae vibes. Hotachacha. And Christian? Can't decide if he's creepy as fuck or totally charming...I'm gonna go with both leaning towards charming. But OMG Dancer?!??!? Baller status and coming out of left field. I.Loved. This. Guy. He was so self-possessed and smart and held his own in front of fucking Ryodan AND Christian. Wonderful addition to the crew. Hope to see more of him.

The Emotions
I found myself familiarly comfortable back in the Fever world and loved being with these characters again, even if Mac and Barrons were beyond on the periphery. I'm excited to see where these characters end up because I really felt a connection to all of them. Dani, Ryodan, Dancer, Christian. But not Jo. I hate that pathetic skank. Sorry, neither here nor there.

The Plot
This is a Belle and a Beast. I was invested in the story but mostly because of the characters however I found the plot dragged a bit and took too long to get to the point. I loved the character profession of the plot but the conflict felt meh to me.

The Length
I thought this was a little long and a littler verbose for my liking. I don't know if it was my mood but it took me a little while to really get into it. I was falling out of the story. Dani's POV wasn't as annoying as I anticipated but her uber ego was trying at times. It was just obnoxious. And while I can empathize she is just a 14 year old kid, it was still annoying.

The Tension
The oh so obvious sexual tension between Dani and Ryodan...and Christian...and Dancer gave me blue balls. Can Dani just disappear into the mirrors for 5 years mirror time and 1 month our time so she can come back, uh, LEGAL and able to PARTICIPATE in all the ACTIVITIES with Ryodan...or Christian...or Dancer? That is all.
Reserved Seating
If you love the Fever series...this one's for you but don't expect it to live up to the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...