Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Idiot-Pathetic Princess and the Pea

"Once upon a time..."
--Tiffany Schmidt, Hold Me Like a Breath
   
Genre: YA Contemporary, Crime
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 400
Publication Date: May 19th, 2015
Source: ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review
Previous Books in Series: First book in series
Goodreads Description

Penelope Landlow has grown up with the knowledge that almost anything can be bought or sold—including body parts. She’s the daughter of one of the three crime families that control the black market for organ transplants.

Penelope’s surrounded by all the suffocating privilege and protection her family can provide, but they can't protect her from the autoimmune disorder that causes her to bruise so easily.

And in her family's line of work no one can be safe forever.

All Penelope has ever wanted is freedom and independence. But when she’s caught in the crossfire as rival families scramble for prominence, she learns that her wishes come with casualties, that betrayal hurts worse than bruises, that love is a risk worth taking . . . and maybe she’s not as fragile as everyone thinks
The Writing...ish
Not gonna lie, I was excited to start this book. Anything dealing with a crime family I'll most likely want to read, add in the medical aspect of illegal organ trafficking and I was in! The beginning of this book read so easily. Fluid, engaging, it had my attention pretty quickly as well as my emotions. I empathized with Penelope's illness and her lack of freedom. I really loved her relationship with her brother and the butterflies she got around longtime friends and BFF of her brother, Garrett. However, after about 100 pages in my feelings started to wane...
The Writing
After a major plot point, the story goes to hell. Penelope is in a situation where she has to leave the confines of her sheltered life behind and forges ahead alone in NYC. There were some very confusing actions of Penelope that made zero sense to me. The major one being she makes contact with two different people by choice yet the one person she wants to talk to she doesn't make an effort to contact. It didn't make any sense. And towards the end of the book there were incongruities in the plot and what people said vs what they've been told. It was all very odd.

The Insta-Love
I'm okay with insta-attraction. It doesn't bother me. I'm a goddamn romantic and believe in love (lust) at first sight. But this was just really...immature. It was superficial and didn't feel organic to the story. It felt lazy. This was the part of the book I really checked out. Sorry not sorry. The whole relationship thereafter I just couldn't buy into and was quite frankly, waiting for somebody else to come back into the picture. And when that person does Penelope makes some boneheads assumptions about him that I just didn't jive with.

The Plot
While I enjoyed the idea of illegal organ trafficking and it was talked about a lot, the same thing was being said over...and over...and over again. I would have liked more depth about this issue and the discussion of the good vs bad. There was some of it but I felt like it was a filler rather than a plot point. What could have been a really intesting story and topic felt underused and not explored to it's full capability.
Standing in Line Outside
If you like unfounded insta-love, plot holes, and a quick read...this book's for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...