Wednesday, May 20, 2015

What Is Your Light?

"Believe in magic.
Believe in the impossible"
--Morgan Rhodes, Gathering Darkness


Genre: YA Fantasy
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 432
Publication Date: December 9th, 2014
Source: Bought
Previous Books in Series: Falling Kingdoms & Rebel Spring
Goodreads Description

Love, vengeance, and greed spark a deadly quest for magic in the third book of the Falling Kingdoms series

Prince Magnus has just witnessed torture, death, and miracles during the bloody confrontation that decimated the rebel forces. Now he must choose between family and justice as his father, the cruel King Gaius, sets out to conquer all of Mytica. All Gaius needs now are the Kindred—the four elemental crystals that give godlike powers to their owner. But the King of Blood is not the only one hunting for this ancient, storied magic. . . .

THE KRAESHIANS join the hunt. Ashur and Amara, the royal siblings from the wealthy kingdom across the Silver Sea, charm and manipulate their way to the Kindred, proving to be more ruthless than perhaps even the King of Blood himself.

THE REBELS forge ahead. Princess Cleo and vengeful Jonas lead them, slaying with sweetness, skill, and a secret that can control Lucia’s overpowering magic—all so they can use the Kindred to win back their fallen kingdoms.

THE WATCHERS follow Melenia out of the Sanctuary. They ally in the flesh with King Gaius, who vows to use Lucia’s powers to unveil the Kindred.

The only certainty in these dark times is that whoever finds the magic first will control the fate of Mytica. . . . but the four element gods of the Kindred have other plans.
The Progression
I went into this book with minimal expectations because I was worried it would take me forever to get back into this world and remember what happened...not the case. This was one of the books I expected to like and it smacked me in the face with it's awesomeness. I was immediately engaged, concerned about the characters, and intrigued as to what would happen next. Morgan Rhodes does not hold back and does not drag you along with minimal plot progression. This installment brings us more information on the Kindred, brings us closers to the answers, and OH so much happens!! Rhodes may as well be the George RR Martin of YA because she cuts characters down without regret but always in favor of the plot. I am in awe of her ability to plot the story and bring us oh so many characters we come to love.
The Characters
THE FEELS, you guys. I have FEELS about these characters. I didn't feel like the last book has as much character progression as I would have liked but this book holds nothing back. The characters are so complex. They are imperfect, they make mistakes, and they learn from them. This is a world filled with deception and nobody gets a free pass on being manipulated or manipulating. They all have a cause. They all believe in their deepest of hearts, their cause is just. And...they are all right. They all don't align together...yet...but I feel a tide is turning and I hope it's one that bring all our characters causes together. Cleo continues to impress me with her heart and her deceptions. I love a girl who can manipulate the people around her. That is no joke. Magnus continues to be infuriating in his inability to show his kindness that we know lies beneath that icy exterior. This broken man steals my heart and I make no apologies for it. Jonas is a little lost in his rebel cause but is not defeated. His determination and devotion to Cleo is admirable and I have a little crush on him, too. Sorry not sorry. Lucia is fierce and powerful and no longer so naive. I loved seeing her coming into herself and owning what she is. All of these characters have a place in my heart and I cannot even tell you how excited I am to read the rest of this series.
The Complexities
There is so much going on in this plot, it's amazing. It's not so difficult to keep track it's hard to know where their true loyalties lie at some points. Nobody can be trusted. Assume everyone is a liar. Know your own cause. Those are the rules of this game. I love the deception, I love the intrigue, I LOVE...the stolen kisses.

It Ended
No joke, I say this about a handful of books but I couldn't read fast enough and I cannot wait for the next book! I want to know what happens next, I am dying!!!

Reserved Seating
If you love series that get better with each book, complex characters and even more complex plot...this book's for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...