Monday, July 10, 2017

Love Can't Be Quantified

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake // Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord // Eleven Scandals to Start To Win a Duke's Heart
Genre: Historical Romance
Pages: 432 // 357 // 367
Source: Bought and Borrowed
Publisher : Avon Books
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake // Ok, guys. My foot is in my mouth. I should have read this book forever and a year ago. Sue me! However, I still believe in book karma and this book came to me when I needed it. What I mean by that is Calpurnia, our heroine, is somebody I can relate to deeply. Y'all know I'm a heroines' girl and this girl is a top ten. After believing in love her whole life and watching herself be put higher and higher on the shelf after no luck in the love department, Callie is fed up. She wants to live. Her reputation means little by this point and she wants to experience all she can. She broke my heart in the best possible way. I felt like I was reading my own thoughts and feelings. My feelings were so strong I found myself taking a moment to be emotional several times. It's like she was speaking from my soul, you guys!! I just can't say enough how much I could connect with Callie..but she's not the only part of the book.

Our hero is a grumpy asshole. He had moments of ultimate swoon but to be honest, he had a lot more asshole moments. He makes up for it but oh man, the angst was kinda high but it was also probably because I could feel so acutely with Callie's feelings. The dynamic between Callie and Ralston was awesome. He teased her, she got pissed and yelled at him, he was shocked, she gets kissed, didn't really get old. However, my one gripe was the book overall did feel a bit long. It really didn't need to be close to 400 pages, more like 340-350 would have been perfect! I cannot WAIT to continue this series!
Rating: Backstage Pass


Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord // This book, as with the first, was so freaking fun! The banter between Nick and Isabel was fantastic. Isabel is, more than usual, not your typical heroine of the ton so of course I loved her. Daughter of an earl who was a complete waste of space and horrible father, she has learned to become not only self-reliant but selfless. This woman is one of my favorites. Her devotion to the women of her house and to making a better life for them was inspiring. Nick and Rock were confused as to what they came upon when finding Isabel which only made it more hilarious to read. The banter, the quick wit, the reluctant feelings, we find all of this and more in this book and the series as a whole is becoming an instant favorite. 
Rating: Reserved Seating

Eleven Scandals To Start To Win a Duke's Heart // I have been looking forward to Juliana and her Duke of Disdain since the hintings we got in the first book. The epitome of reputation and avoiding a scandal falling for an illegitimate daughter of a ton member who skipped town? Delicious. And this book was exactly that. I loved every moment of their hate to love and pretending they didn't love each other. I kept thinking of that quote from Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 when Kostas tells Lena, "We are terrible at not love each other." I mean, SWOON, first of all but this is totally them. They are awful at pretending they don't love each other and want to be together. Simon has his head so far up his ass and worried about reputation he's about 2 seconds from sabotaging his own happiness the entire book. Juliana is strong, formidable, fearless and still feels so deeply. She loves like she fights...hard. I love the two of them together and seeing Juliana bring snobby Simon to his knees. Loved this series and it was a fantastic binge read while traveling in the place these beautiful stories took place.
Rating: Reserved Seating

1 comment:

  1. I binge read this series a few years ago, and I adored it! HRs are just really fun to binge, especially when all the stories are connected. I'm glad you wound up enjoying this too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...