Monday, October 30, 2017

The Past is Never Forgotten

"I'm stronger by myself. I'm stronger than you know."
--Victoria Fox, The Silent Foutain
Genre: Adult Contemporary and Historical Ficiton
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
Pages: 400
Publication Date: October 31st, 2017
Source: ARC provided by publisher
Find on: Goodreads | Amazon

My Thoughts

The Silent Fountain was pitched to me because of my love for Susanna Kearsley, so of course I was all over it. Dual timeline. Mystery. Foreign setting. I was sold.
And that is what this book excelled in. The setting. Taking place in an Italian villa called Castillo Barbarossa, present day Lucy is looking for an escape from a tumultuous romantic situation. She agrees to take a job as the villa's caretaker but the job becomes more than what she bargained for. 1978 Vivien is a Hollywood starlet who meets and marries an Italian man who promptly whisks her away to his family home in Tuscany. She, like Lucy 30 years later, gets more than what she bargained for.

What I enjoyed about this book was the dual timeline. I am a huge fan of this because it usually keeps me turning the pages to find out more which this book definitely did. I was engaged, I wanted to know what happened next, I felt almost equally engaged with both stories even if I was probably a bit more compelled by Vivien. I thought the writing was well done especially when it came to the setting. The imagery of Tuscany felt vivid. I, per usual, immediately wanted to book a plane ticket. And the mystery and conflict involving Vivien's sister-in-law was definitely page-turning.

What I had issue with was the pacing and the ending. I read the book quickly because I'm stubborn and had to know what happens to everyone but it definitely felt drawn out. I felt like it could have been trimmed down and made a bit tighter. I also took issue with the ending because it felt inconsistently melodramatic in it's content. It took a turn for super deep emotion which I wasn't feeling throughout the rest of the book. I got it but it still felt like a stretch and a bit much.

The conflict itself with the sister-in-law also wasn't my favorite but I think this was more of a 'me thing.' I cannot stand when somebody gets away with manipulating situations to their benefit and gets away with it looking innocent and making the person realizing it look crazy. If you're into that kind of drama this will be a total hit with you, unfortunately it wasn't for me.

Overall, I found the story enjoyable and wanted to keep reading. The overall execution fell short for me which made it about a 3 out of 5 as far as rating goes.

General Admission
 If you enjoy dual timeline, beautiful settings, and melodramatic drama...this book is for you. 

2 comments:

  1. I, too, love Susanna Kearsley, (just please don't ask me to pick a favorite!) so I'll have to add this to my crazy-long Amazon wishlist. Just discovered your blog - I'm excited to poke around over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like historical settings and dual timelines, so this one definitely appeals. Too bad it feels drawn out. I think I'll pick it up anyway. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...